Thursday, October 20, 2016

Review Tour - BETWEEN LOVE AND LOYALTY by Shannyn Schroeder

Between Love and Loyalty
by Shannyn Schroeder
Releasing October 18th 2016
Self-Published
From The Book Junkie Reads . . . Between Love and Loyalty . . .
Politics. Power. Family. Loyalty. Love. Sometimes these things have more to do with each other than it appears. When do you stop to find the connection to it all? Sometimes unraveling the issues makes for the growth of the characters that much more to enjoy at the end.

Connor and Fiona had much to get around to find themselves their forever love. Trust me it did not come easy. Neither was being totally upfront and open with the other. There was more to meet the eye than what they were presenting to each other. Use me for your purpose and I'll use you for mine. This was what I got from most of the read. Somewhere along the way they fell for each other, but that was when things presented themselves as family or love. 

I found that at some point and time in the story, multiple points, that Connor and Fiona got on my nerves.  Things seemed to be petting and spiteful most of the time. I did not like Dermott at all. He seemed more like a meddling, angry, old bartender with an attitude.  The people that I fell for were the ones that did not have dominant roles in the story. 

Looking for something not so predictable, not all the characters you were in love with, a family that had some serious flaws, a young woman confused, and young man that was just angry, a love that took time. Then you need to get this one. It will give you a little something different and not your norm. 

Blurb
When at war, aim for the heart…


Connor Duffy is desperate. His tell-all book on corrupt Chicago alderman Brady Cavanagh isn’t telling enough to get publisher interest, and in order to get the hot dirt, he must find a way to get closer to the man who let Connor go to prison to cover for his own son’s misdeeds. So when fate puts Cavanagh’s lively, artsy daughter across Connor’s path, he decides to take advantage of the first bit of good luck he’s had in a long while.

… but don't forget to keep your own under guard.

Fiona Cavanagh needs a break. Between assisting with her father’s political campaign, trying to please her unpleasable mother, and dealing with an ex who won’t go away, she has no time for a life of her own. One night she meets sexy and mysterious Connor and everything looks like it’s about to finally turn around… until she discovers that the one man she thought she could love was using her to get to her father. As dark family secrets unravel around her, Fiona finds herself caught between love... and loyalty.
Goodreads Link:
Buy Links: Amazon | iTunes | Kobo
 
Aiden stared into his eyes, and Connor knew when recognition hit. So much for his costume being a disguise. The damn thing hadn’t helped at all.
“Holy fuck. What the hell are you doing here?”
“Aiden.”
A range of emotions crossed Aiden’s face before Connor could develop an answer for Aiden’s question. “You’re the guy Fiona’s with? What the fuck are you doing with my sister?”
A smirk lifted Connor’s mouth. “You really want the answer?”
Aiden stepped forward with fists clenched.
Connor glanced down at Aiden’s hands. “You might want to rethink. Remember what happened last time.”
“I was drunk and high last time. I’m in full control of my faculties now. I knew you hated me, but why the hell would you go after Fiona?”
The accusation poked at him, but the conversation felt natural. Just like it always had with his friend. “I didn’t go after her. She came onto me at a bar and introduced herself as Fiona Wells.”
“But you knew who she was.” Aiden’s gaze shifted.
“Yeah, but surprisingly, I never lied about my name and it didn’t ring any bells for her.”
“She was away at school. She never knew.” Aiden’s shoulders sagged.
Connor could almost feel the weight pushing between them, compressing the past into a flurry of emotions. If only he could turn back the clock. The number of things he’d do differently. He couldn’t help but wonder if he and Aiden would still be friends if things had taken a different course.
“You can’t continue to see her.”
“Why not? Afraid of the truth?”
Aiden’s weary gaze met his. “Hell, yeah. I care about her. If you want to come after me then bring it, but Fiona isn’t part of this.”
Connor was taken back by Aiden’s honesty. “She made herself part of it.”
“I tried to make things right. You know I did.”
Old anger swelled in Connor’s chest. “There is no making this right unless you tell everyone the truth. Are you prepared to do that?”
Aiden shook his head. “I can’t.”
“That’s what I thought.”
“It wouldn’t change anything anyway.” He took a deep breath and stared out at the street. “I’ll tell her to stay away from you.”
“I’m sure you will, but she doesn’t strike me as the type of woman to listen to her big brother.” Besides, Connor knew Aiden wouldn’t tell Fiona the whole truth out of fear that Fiona would get to hear Connor’s side of the story. Connor could tell her and possibly ruin Aiden’s relationship with her, but it wouldn’t be enough. Brady Cavanagh wouldn’t suffer.
Aiden took another step. They stood eye-to-eye. “I’ve reformed my life, but if you hurt her, I will come after you.”
“You can try.” Deep down, Connor knew he might hurt Fiona, but the chances of her destroying him were much greater.
Goodreads Link:
Buy Links: Amazon | iTunes | Kobo

Author Info
Shannyn Schroeder is the author of the O’Leary series, contemporary romances centered around a large Irish-American family in Chicago and the Hot & Nerdy series about 3 nerdy friends finding love. Her new series (For Your Love) will release this summer with the first title Under Your Skin. When she’s not wrangling her three kids or writing, she watches a ton of TV and loves to bake cookies.
Author Links:
Hosted by

Presented by

No comments:

Post a Comment