Wednesday, November 23, 2016

SPOTLIGHT w/Author Interview - Angles: A Love Story Part I by Erin Lockwood

Angles
Part I
by Erin Lockwood
Date of Publication: November 10th 2016
Genre: Contemporary Romance
 
BLURB
Cara and Sam are destined for each other, we know it the first time we meet them, and everyone else seems to know it as well. But life constantly interrupts and prevents them from taking the next step.

It doesn’t help at all that Cara is in a codependent platonic relationship with Theo. Cara is forever the damsel in distress and Theo is the enabler who thrives on being needed all the time. When Sam enters the scene, it disrupts the equation between the two. Theo and Sam have a chequered history behind them and share a love-hate relationship; hate being the dormant emotion.

But destiny is a funny thing, and by the time fate is done with these characters their lives will never be the same again.


Excerpt from Chapter 2
 “By the time I get back to dancing with Dean, I feel something, someone, watching me. The feeling I felt before my speech is stronger now. There’s something consuming my surroundings—an invisible, sweltering blanket over me. As soon as I have the chance, I look around and try to find the source of this feeling—the burning eyes I can’t see, yet, but I sense are focused on me.
I casually scan the room between dips and twirls.
My breath catches. There they are—the eyes I’ve been searching for. A man, a gorgeous man, in a perfectly tailored suit is staring at me. It’s no mistake. Now that I see him, I know his eyes are the source of this feeling I’ve been having.
There are worse people to have stare at you. He might be a little older, but he’s very attractive. He wears his dark brown hair slicked and styled up and back. It looks soft enough to run my fingers through and short enough to create a little edge to it. His blackish gray suit blends in with his olive, tan skin. Every part of him is dark and smoky, except his eyes. His turquoise-blue eyes are so bright; they’re like headlights shining at me. A lighthouse warning me not to come too close or my boat will crash. ”

MY INTERVIEW WITH ERIN LOCKWOOD
How would you describe your style of writing to someone that has never read your work?
My writing is me on paper. It’s not high brow. It’s fun, easy and relatable. I try to put myself in the character’s situations and think about how someone would naturally react if they had that background, upbringing, storyline, etc. I might have a degree in journalism, but that’s not what I rely on when I write. I put my heart and soul into my novels. I don’t worry about the right way to tell a story; I just do it my way and hope that people can   relate.

What mindset or routine do you feel the need to set when preparing to write (in general whether you are working on a project or just free  writing)?
I have three kids and my husband works from home (in the same office) more than 50% of the time. When I sit down to write, I could have screaming kids, 80’s music playing, a movie on in the
backgroundor, total silence. It’s been a gift that I can tune any background noise out and focus on my computer. However, the one thing I like to do to prepare myself for work is jog in the mornings. I
don’t always get to do it, but when I do, it sets my day on the right track. I get a lot of my motivation when I run.

Do you take your character prep to heart? Do you nurture the growth of each character all the way through to the page? Do you people watch to help with development? Or do you build upon your character during story  creation?
I do both, character prep and build upon the character during the story. I feel like they go hand-in-hand. You wouldn’t have a storyline if it weren’t for the characters and their backgrounds and personalities. The characters make the story interesting - more than any other element. When I come up with an idea, I begin developing a relationship with the characters in the stories. After I write and really get into developing the story, those relationships become more real to me.

Have you found yourself bonding with any particular character? If so which one(s)?
I bond with all of them! All the main and supporting characters, I love them all. I even love the villains.     I connect with each of them because they all have a backstory to support their existence. So even if  they make terrible choices, I empathize with them. Now, if I have to pick a favorite, it is and always    will be, Sam. That character was modeled after my husband. My husband has the most amazing and beautiful turquoise blue eyes and he makes me feel like I’m the most loved woman in the world - just like Sam does for Cara.


Do you have a character that you have been working on that you can't wait to put to paper?
I have several. I have a virtual journal that I’ve been logging all my book ideas in. I have some amazing and interesting characters planned. Everything from a YA comedy/drama, college/sports romance, another contemporary romance (hopefully coming out next fall), military love triangle/romance, to a futuristic drama. Other than completing the Angles Trilogy, there is a novel I’m working on now that I can’t wait to finish drafting. After that, it will be hard to choose what I’ll write next.


Have you ever felt that there was something inside of you that you couldn't control? If so what? If no what spurs you to reach for the  unexperienced?
All the time! My husband has told me that he thinks I have “Shiny New Thing Syndrome.” I’m always reaching for something new and fulfilling. My end goal really is extraordinaryI really, really want to be on Dancing With The Stars. Other than continuing to write novels, that is my big life goal. I joke about only wanting to write books so I can be famous enough to be on the show. I want that mirror ball trophy!

Author Info
Erin Lockwood grew up in Castro Valley, California and attended the University of Oregon, where she graduated in 2003 with a degree in journalism. From there she moved to Denver and spent the next seven years searching for the love of her life and building the family of her dreams.

It wasn’t long until, with children starting preschool and more time on her hands, Erin refocused on her career, beginning with a successful entry into the world of residential real estate as a Realtor. Free time was spent reading book after book (and binge-watching the subsequent films) in the New Adult genre. Feeling hopelessly in love with her husband, she wrote him a short story leading up to their fifth wedding anniversary. That’s when she discovered her tireless passion to share her experience of falling in love through fictional characters. That story evolved into the first novel in the Angles trilogy.

Erin still lives in Denver, Colorado with her husband, Phil, and their three children.
Author Links:
Series Website  Author Website
Hosted by
Presented by

No comments:

Post a Comment